Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Fu's birthday wish

Fu first told me about his birthday wish a few weeks ago. Then, I didnt think too much about it as I really did not know whether his level of seriousness. He had requested me to buy him a birthday card at the shops near 奶奶's place.

That request did linger in my mind but I guess it kindof got buried deep within and memories of it will only be triggered when the topic of birthday present is being brought up.

I dont know what triggered him but yesterday Fu asked me for the card again. He has his way of talking to you in his gentlest and sweetest voice when he has a request to make. I guess all mothers can attest to this inborn skill of their children. I promised him that I will go to the shop with him the following day to take a look but did not promise him that I will purchase the cards for him.

Yesterday was a late night for him but I was not overly concerned since it's the school holidays. He woke up in good spirits this morning even though his head swung from one side to another as he fell asleep while on our way to 奶奶's place. When we reached the carpark, Fu held my hand and asked me to go view the cards with him. I went along with him as I was also very curious on what cards he's referring to.

He squatted down in front of the shop and looked through the cards. When I finally saw what the cards were, my heart really turned soft on how simple a child's birthday wish can be. He carefully browsed through the selection and made his choice. I questioned him to confirm that that's really what he wants for his birthday, reminding him that once that is bought, he will not get another birthday present from me. He confirmed that without hesitation. Unfortunately. I couldnt buy the cards at that point of time as I did not have a single penny with me.

Back at 奶奶's place, he was very anxious and kept asking me whether I'll get the cards and when I'll get them. He was worried that someone will buy what he had selected off. I assured him that if in the evening I return and it's already sold, I will make sure I find that somewhere else. With that, I left 奶奶's place. Of course, I couldnt bear to disappoint him and I headed straight to the shop to buy what he selected and set-off for work.

When I returned, he eagerly came to me and asked if I had bought the cards. I smiled and asked, "what do you think?"
"I dont know!" was his immediate reply, almost in exasperation.

I took the cards out from my bag much to his delight but reminded him that it's not his birthday yet and cannot open it up. He obediently agreed and went back to his dinner.

When he was done, he excitedly showed 爷爷 the cards and as 爷爷 was unaware that it was not to be opened till his birthday, he had taken out the cards to browse. Fu later asked me if he could play with the cards and I maintained that it's not his birthday yet. He was going to put the cards back into the box and with that, I relented and told him, "ok, you can have your birthday present in advance."

Oh boy, you should the delight on his face.

I later learnt from mushroom that when they passed by the shop in the afternoon, he was looking for the cards he had selected and wiping his perspiration off when he couldnt find what he had chosen. Poor boy!

Want to know what his birthday wish was? Animal Kaiser cards that cost me $1.20. How can any mother reject this simple birthday wish? I'm actually very tempted now to buy all the Animal Kaiser cards at the shop after seeing how much he enjoyed playing with them with his father.

No comments: