Thursday, January 06, 2011

Cents and centsibility 2

I have to admit I'm not a "on-the-ball" mother. I only really tried playing "money games" with Fu on the Sunday before he started his Primary One. Most parents would prepared their primary-one-going child much earlier. In fact, i had only suggested to him that we should play a pretend paying game at my mum's place on our way there and had already forgotten about it when we reached there. It was fu who reminded me.

And so we played. I just sat lazily at the sofa, reached out to whatever items I could reach from the telephone table, dug out whatever coins I had from my wallet and started the game, and it went something like this:

Me: *holding Audra's toy* ok, you have $1 with you. This is 70cents, this is 80 cents, which one do you want to buy?
Fu: this one.
Me: ok, this is 70 cents and you give me $1, how much should I return to you?
Fu: *pauses for a while* hmmmm.... 30cents?
Me: Yes! Very good! *gives him 30cents*

We repeated the game with another toy of a different value, then i was reminded to tell him that his pocket money is for buying food not for buying toys, which i did. Then i moved on to the next items:

Me: ok, now you see these 3 books, this is $1.20, this is $1.50 and this is $2, which one do you want to buy. (they're actually the same series of books just of different titles)
Fu: pointed to the $1.50 book.
Me: Hmmm, boy, you know, when you see things that are similar, with very little difference but of different values, you know which one you should always choose?
Fu: hmmm, no.
Me: The cheapest one.
Fu: Why?
Me: because that is value for money! You pay less and get almost the same thing, then you can use the rest of the money for other purposes, you can accumulate them to buy something else. Ok, so which one should you choose?
Fu: hmm.. This one *still insisted to have the $1.50 book*
Me: huh? Why?
Fu: because this is xxx autobot and yellow... and other reasons i cannot remember

I let Fu have that since it was a game and I didn't want to impose on him since i let him choose in the first place. With that we ended the game...

For the rest of the day, i kept a lookout for a watch that Fu can wear to school, I had what i wanted to get for him in mind for a couple of days but didn't get on to it as they were no longer spotted. It's a $5 watch that I wear during weekends a rather presentable and digital digital watch. I searched all over the hougang area where Zoe bought me the one I am wearing, unfortunately they were no where to be found.

Then came Monday which was a school holiday and I brought him to make a pair of spare spectacles at amk. Again I was keeping a lookout for the watch and yes! This time I found them! In desirable colors and also at $5. So, I let him choose his colour. He chose the one in yellow. The shop assistant then took the yellow watches out and asked which one in particular. One type has a yellow face and the other has a black face. Fu took a look at them, couldn't see much of a difference and said something that I totally did not expect, "the cheaper one".

No comments: